The coat of arms of Rezhitsa designed in 1857 by B. Ķēne
Another coat of arms of Rezhitsa was created in the 1950s, yet, for whatever reasons, it was not adopted officially. To make the coats of arms of cities visually complete and to design them according to European rules of heraldry, Alexander II tasked B. Ķēne (1817–1886), Head of the Heraldry Department of the Senate, with creating a brand new system for designing coats of arms and revising all the existing coats of arms used by cities. He did the task brilliantly and created a logical system for the unification of cities’ coats of arms approved by the emperor in 1857.
According to the version proposed by B. Ķēne, the coat of arms of Rezhitsa should have featured a silver shield covered in stoat tails with the coat of arms of the Vitebsk Governorate in its upper left corner. A silver tower crown is placed on top of the shield, while golden cereal ears wrapped in the ribbon of Alexandria decorate its sides.
The silver colour symbolises purity and innocence, God’s grace and open-heartedness. The stoat tails represent power. The tower crown attests to the status of the city in the uyezd (county). The golden cereal ears wrapped in the ribbon of Alexandria showed that agriculture and the trade of bread were developed in Rezhitsa. For unknown reasons, this coat of arms was not adopted officially.